Edmonds could get two marijuana stores within the city limits, according to the newest Initiative 502 rules proposed by the Washington State Liquor Control Board.
The initiative legalized marijuana in Washington state, and passed last November with more than 55 percent of the vote.
According to the proposed state rules, a maximum of 334 retail stores will be allowed state, and store locations were allocated based on population in the 2010 Census and "consumption data."
Under the proposal, Edmonds would get two marijuana stores for its 39,708 residents. In Seattle, there would be 21 stores for its 608,660 residents. Close to Edmonds, Lynnwood would get two stores, Mountlake Terrace 1 and Everett would get five.
The board would allow 35 marijuana stores total in Snohomish County. For comparison, 61 stores would be allowed in King County. You can check out the list of retail store locations on the Washington State Liquor Control Board website.
Other proposed rules include:
- Any company or business owner can hold up to three marijuana retail licenses. Multiple-location licensees not allowed to hold more than 33 percent of the allowed licenses in any county or city.
- $1,000 criminal penalty for sales to a minor.
- Separate tiers of grow operations.
- Marijuana operations will not be allowed within 1,000 feet of elementary or secondary schools, playgrounds, recreation centers or facilities, child care centers, public parks, public transit centers, libraries, or game arcade where admission is not restricted to persons twenty-one years of age or older.
- Sniff jars with sealed, screened-top lids allowed, but there will be no handling of the product behind the counter.
- There will be quality assurance testing on the products sold.
The Washington State Liquor Control Board will hold a public hearing on the proposed rules on Oct. 9. The rules are expected to be effective Nov. 16 and on Nov. 18 WSLCB begins accepting applications for all license types.
What do you think of the proposed rules? Where do you think the marijuana retail shops will pop up in Edmonds? Tell us in the comments.