Here is another update from the City of Edmonds on improvements to Main Street between Fifth and Sixth avenues.
The Main Street Decorative Lighting and Sidewalk Enhancement project will reconstruct Main Street and provide new streetscape improvements between 5th and 6th Avenues. Improvements include new and wider sidewalks, curb and gutter, street trees, street lighting, mid-block pedestrian crosswalk, flower basket poles, public art, benches, trash receptacles and bike racks.
Utility improvements include the relocation and removal of overhead utilities and poles, replacement of the aging watermain and new stormwater facilities.
Construction start date: Sept. 10, 2012
Expected completion date: Nov. 19, 2012
The construction schedule is subject to weather conditions and may be revised accordingly.
Work accomplished through Oct. 19, 2012:
- Relocation of PUD overhead electrical service from Main St. to alley (complete).
- Installation and connection of new watermain and water services to customers (complete).
- Installation of stormwater infiltration trench (complete).
- Removal of PUD poles (partially complete).
- Installation of new stormwater pipe and catch basins (underway)
- Installation of irrigation and electrical utilities to tree wells (underway).
- Place concrete curb and gutter on Main St (underway).
Work anticipated in the next two weeks:
- Prepare street subgrade and place base material
- Place first layer of asphalt pavement on Main St. west of 6th Ave
- Place mid-block crosswalk
- Install foundations for lights and flower poles
- Close intersection of Main St and 6th Ave
- Remove asphalt and concrete pavement and sidewalk at the intersection of Main St. and 6th Ave
- A public meeting was held on Sept. 4, 2012, with the Main St. businesses, property owners and contractor.
- Construction notices showing available parking adjacent to Main Street were provided to the businesses.
- Additional signage to delineate access to businesses and provide notice that businesses are open during construction.
- Placement of a variable changeable message sign on Main St, east of 6th Ave, to notify the public about the project and business access.
- King 5 News highlighted the project during their morning news on Thursday, Oct. 4.
- City staff attended the Oct. 5 Downtown Edmonds Merchant Association meeting.