Edmonds Mayor Dave Earling spent some time in jail recently. But he's broken out now—he was locked up in a promotion for the Edmonds Historical Museum's restored jail cell.
This Sunday, you are invited to a joint open house with the Edmonds Police Department——from noon to 5 p.m. when both facilties will be open for touring.
The museum’s current exhibit, will be open on Sunday as well.
From the museum, promoting "Go Behind Bars":
Join us Sept. 16, 2012, as we unlock the door to our newest exhibit space, a recently restored jail cell on the lower floor of the museum building. As part of a joint open house with the Edmonds Police Department, both the museum and police station will be open from noon to 5 p.m., offering visitors a look at facilities old and new.
The original police department was located on the lower floor of the Carnegie Library building (now the museum) along with City Hall, council chambers and other city offices until 1962. Before the Carnegie Library was built in 1910, the lot was occupied by city hall and the jail, two separate structures, and a 75-foot fire bell tower to the north.
City offices moved into the lower floor of the library upon completion, but evidence shows the jail remained in a separate building until 1922 when a jail cell was constructed in the library’s basement coal bin.
The cell was equipped with steel bars in the window and a steel door made at the Yost Auto Company’s shop. This small cell, complete with two bunks, a sink, toilet, and original prisoner graffiti, will be open to the public starting Sept. 16.
The restored jail cell, which will remain as a permanent display at the museum, was made possible in part by assistance from the Snohomish County Community Heritage Program.
The Edmonds Historical Museum is at 118 Fifth Ave. N., Edmonds. It's open on Summer Market Saturdays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. and Wednesday through Sunday from 1-4 p.m. uggested donation is $5 per adult and $2 per child. For more information, go to historicedmonds.org.