Teen Dies After Mixing Energy Drinks and Hard Liquor

A 17-year-old boy from Stanwood died early Saturday morning at a friend's house in Shoreline.

A 17-year-old boy from Stanwood died early Saturday morning after he and two friends, both 18-year-olds, drank hard liquor and energy drinks while playing video games, Shoreline Police Sgt. Katie Larson said.

The three young men were drinking and playing video games when the victim apparently passed out, Larson said.

It was some time later when his friends, realizing he hadn't moved and seeing that something was seriously wrong, called 911. 

A Shoreline Police officer was first on the scene at a home in the 170 block of Fourth Avenue Northeast after dispatch received a call at 2:39 a.m. The officer, who was equipped with an automatic electronic defibrillator, started aid but was too late to revive the boy.

The boy was pronounced dead at the scene by Shoreline Fire paramedics.

The King County Medical Examiner's Office will conduct an autopsy. 

The King County Sheriff's Major Crimes unit is conducting an investigation. 

Dan Monge October 17, 2012 at 09:21 PM
So So sad....My heart goes out to his familyThe first death of many to come from making hard liquor privatized.And you guys are worried about Pot? This proves alcohol is now even easier to get now that you can get it almost anywhere.I also feel sorry for the family of the person who provided him with the booze.they will get to see him in prison.sad all around. My prayers are with this young mans family and friends.his life was just starting....
Dan Monge October 17, 2012 at 09:25 PM
How many more young people are we gonna loose to prove liquor is way to easy to get in private businesses?
SDeede October 18, 2012 at 03:14 PM
First off I hope his friends and family get through this and I feel bad for this young man. I don't think taking liquor out if just a liquor store enabled this to happen. When I was young we had NO problem getting alcohol.. ever..It being in the stores does not make it that much easier to get. If kids want to drink they don't usually go to the store and get it themselves. Anyway that being said. I do think they should have a seperate section in the stores..kind of like the wine rooms in some stores. This tragedy came (probably) from mixing energy drinks and alcohol. Uppers and downers don't mix. To the family..I am sorry for your loss sincerely.
DiMaggio October 20, 2012 at 05:49 PM
The boys name is John DiMaggio. He was raised in Darrington and more recently lived in Stanwood. He was a good kid and very well liked. He was staying at a friends house that night and the friends grandmother bought them the alcohol. Believe me, it had nothing to do with liquor bein privatized. This was sadly a small group of kids hanging out at "home", playing video games, being teenager. They weren't out causing trouble. They werent at a party. The family is devastated, and rightfully so.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »