.

UPDATE: Reading Lamp Caused Fatal Apartment Blaze in Edmonds

A woman and her cat died in the Monday evening fire, Snohomish fire officials said.

An Edmonds woman was found dead in her apartment Monday evening after a hot light bulb in a reading lamp ignited the victim’s bedding, according to fire officials.

"This was the type of lamp you can clip to a shelf or headboard. It appears the lamp came loose and landed on the victim's bed in the living room," Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1, said in a news release. The woman’s cat also died in the fire.

Neighbors reported the fire just after 6 p.m. when they saw smoke coming from the second-floor apartment in the six-unit building on the 8600 block of 240th St. S.W.

"When firefighters arrived an alarm was sounding and there was smoke coming from a gable vent," Hynes said. 

Firefighters entered the smoke-filled apartment and quickly extinguished a small fire in the living room. 

Damage is estimated at $50,000 to the one unit with heavy smoke and heat damage. The other residents in the six-unit building were able to return to their apartments, at about 11:30 p.m. No injuries were reported.

The woman’s name wasn’t immediately released.

 

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »