Fire officials believe children playing with a firework sparked a small fire that caused more than $30,000 damage to a home in Edmonds on Sunday.
The fire was reported at 5:34 p.m. in the 8200 block of Sierra Drive, north of 196th Street SW in the Maplewood area.
“The homeowner called 911 because there was smoke in the house and they couldn’t locate the source,” said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1, which provides fire and emergency medical services in the City of Edmonds.
Firefighters from Fire District 1 and Lynnwood responded and quickly located and extinguished the fire. One firefighter was evaluated for smoke inhalation at the scene, but was able to return to work. There were no other injuries.
The fire damaged a small area of siding, wall and ceiling. The family of five adults and four children will be able to remain in the house.
The family was setting up for a garage sale prior to the fire. Two children, ages 5 and 6, told fire investigators they came across a fountain-style firework in the boxes of items being sorted for the garage sale.
The children then located a lighter or a match, and lit the firework as it was leaning against the side of the house, according to investigators.