It only seems right that the is honoring the Edmonds Police Department.
The department, celebrating its 100th annniversary this year, was originally housed in the museum—then known as , along with council chambers and other city offices.
The museum's exhibit, "Stick ‘Em Up! Celebrating 100 Years of the Edmonds Police Department,” begins Saturday and continues through Nov. 4.
From the Edmonds Museum:
The Edmonds Police Department was officially created by ordinance on Oct. 16, 1912. Dogs, drunkenness, gambling and general nuisances were the order of the day. At that time, an ununiformed and often unarmed town marshal kept the peace, and night watchmen and special police were hired to help as needed.
The police department was located on the lower floor of the Carnegie Library/City Hall building, along with council chambers and other city offices. In the early 1920s, the first jail cell was installed in the building's basement coal bin, with many characters sharing the space over the years.
Grafitti can still be seen on the walls today. The police department and jail cells were located in this building until 1962, when the new civic center was completed.
Today, the Edmonds Police Department (located just north of the museum inside the Public Safety Complex, 250 Fifth Ave. N.) is nationally accredited, with more than 50 commissioned officers and 11 civilian staff members. The department’s centennial celebration kicks off with the museum exhibit Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
As part of the police department's celebration, .
A continuing fundraising effort has been established where police employees are offering for sale coffee cups, travel mugs, water bottles, glass steins and reusable grocery bags bearing various Edmonds Police patch and badge designs.
"Stick ‘Em Up! Celebrating 100 years of the Edmonds Police Department” begins Saturday and continues through Nov. 4 at the Edmonds Historical Museum, 118 Fifth Ave. N. Hours are Wednesdays through Sundays from 1-4 p.m.