A book club can be a great way to expand literary horizons. Of course, it can also lead to new friends and a sense of community.
For 2012, the book club has already selected books for the first half of the year. The theme of all of the books is international cultures and development, delving into both fiction and nonfiction.
The club, which says it alway welcomes new members to its lively sessions, meets the second Thursday of each month from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at Fabric of Life, 523 Main St., Edmonds. For more information, email RBesterman@comcast.net, visit the Fabric of Life Web site or call 425-563-3925.
Here's what's on the reading list:
- Jan. 12: The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht.
- Feb. 9: My Russian Grandmother and Her American Vacuum Cleaner by Meir Shalev
- March 8: The Monuments Men by Robert Edsel
- April 12: The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny
- May 10: Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder
- June 14: The Forest Lover by Susan Vreeland
All of the books are available to purchase at in plenty of time to get your reading done. You can call the shop if you'd like to have your book on hold for you.