The Spanish mission-inspired Hughes Memorial Methodist Church occupied the northwest corner of Fifth and Dayton between 1924 and 1959. It replaced the original church on that site, the Edmonds Methodist Episcopal Church, which had stood there since 1904.
Edmonds was growing rapidly in the first decades of the 20th century. The were running day and night, offering steady work and attractive pay. This brought throngs of new workers to the town, many accompanied by their families.
Housing construction boomed, and a wide array of businesses catering to the needs of the growing town sprung up. In addition, more families meant , civic improvements and churches.
The town's was constructed in 1889 at the corner of Sixth and Dayton. It was soon followed by others, including the Edmonds Methodist Episcopal Church. Built in 1904, it stood one block west of the Congregational Church at the corner of Fifth and Dayton on a plot of land purchased for $250.
Subsequent years saw Edmonds' rapid growth continue unabated, and the Methodist congregation soon outgrew the original church building. Money was raised for a new church, and in January 1924 construction began. The mission revival style wood-frame structure was completed later that year at a cost of $14,737. The original church building was moved to the back of the site, leaving the showcase corner space for the new building.
Named for Bishop Mathew S. Hughes, the Hughes Memorial Methodist Church had the appearance of an old Spanish mission. Its distinctive appearance made it a landmark in Edmonds. The spacious interior reflected the mission style with rounded arches and stained glass windows, a particular point of pride to the congregation.
Visitors to town, taken by the Spanish-style architecture, were known to enter the church and ask for the padre!
On New Year's Eve 1941, one of the coldest days on record, a spectacular fire gutted the church. Damage was extensive. Rebuilt at a cost of $12,000, the church reopened later that year. Fortunately, the stained glass windows were not damaged beyond repair. They were carefully restored and continued to grace the church's interior.
Growth continued and in the 1950s it again became apparent that additional space was needed. After considerable discussion, the congregation decided to abandon the Fifth and Dayton location and purchase property at Ninth and Caspers Street. Constructed in 1959, the Edmonds United Methodist Church remains at this location today. A notable feature of the new church is the original stained glass windows, saved when the old church was demolished.
Today the original site is occupied by a commercial building. Current tenants include the , Twist Vinyasa Yoga and the .