Even though it’s still cold, the recent appearance of sunshine has us longing for warm weather and eager to venture outside. If it’s not raining, what’s stopping you? Bundle up the kiddos and head out to one of the many parks and playgrounds in Edmonds. From the beach (seashell hunting anyone?) to jungle gyms to tennis courts, parks around town have it all, and there’s no better cure for the winter blues than a burst of sunshine and a breathe of fresh air.
1. For most children in Edmonds, playing at is a rite of passage. Toddlers can splash around in the wading pool, and older kids enjoy the huge play area, complete with jungle gym, slides and swings. A field east of the playground is the perfect place for a game of soccer or softball. City Park also boasts a sheltered picnic area and barbeque pits for traditional summer cookouts … when the weather improves. City Park: 3rd Avenue South and Howell Way.
2. Much smaller, but still fun for the little ones is Pine Street Park. There is a lot of grass, a picnic table and a play area with climbing wall and swings. Baseball field is great for a friendly neighborhood pick-up game. Pine Street Park: 6th Avenue and Pine Street.
3. Marina Beach Park is a summer haven for kids and adults alike, but just because it’s only early spring doesn’t mean this park can’t still be a blast. With a large sandy beach at the water’s edge, a spacious grassy knoll and a play area, Marina Beach provides hours of fun for restless little ones. And if Fido seems a bit tired of the indoors, the dog beach is right next door; make it a family affair! Marina Beach Park: Admiral Way South.
4. Edmonds families are probably familiar with , and most people have driven by the soccer field on their way down Main Street. Like all the parks we’ve mentioned, the Frances Anderson Center has a play area, but they also have an outdoor stage, perfect for putting on skits, performing music or dancing the afternoon away. Frances Anderson Center: 7th Avenue and Main Street.
5. The Civic Center Playfield is host to a few amenities that can’t be found at every park in town. The center has a track, skateboard park, two tennis courts, sports fields, a basketball court and play areas. Civic Center Playfield: 6th Avenue and Bell Street.